Law Offices of Catherine A. Schwartz
Free Consultations 951-335-0510
An experienced attorney committed to clients and the riverside community
Menu Contact

The government can aid in some child support cases

There is a common perception among many California residents that child support is a matter to be handled between the two parties. Certainly, the court ultimately determines the final order regarding the award of custody and support, but if the parent ordered to pay fails to do so, it is up to the custodial parent to enforce the support. If that individual is without sufficient resources to pay for legal representation, many people think there is not much that can be done. However, that is not necessarily true.

Title IV-D of the Social Security Act of 1975 provides a powerful ally for the parent seeking to collect mandated child support. Under that legislation, a federal Office of Child Support Enforcement and an equivalent state office were established to provide assistance to needy families and children. Legal experts report that if a parent is receiving aid in the form of establishing paternity, locating a non-paying spouse or enforcing a child support order, that is considered a IV-D child support matter.

Similarly, if a custodial parent is receiving public assistance, the state automatically refers the case to the office of enforcement to help defer the costs of the assistance received. Additionally, cases involving non-parent custody, such as care by a relative or foster care, are automatically sent to the enforcement office. Finally, regular non-IV-D custody cases may become IV-D cases if the non-custodial parent doesn't keep up with the monthly support obligation.

Child support is awarded based on a formula that takes into consideration many factors. If one's life circumstances change, it is not unusual for the amount of child support to also change. However, it is necessary to go back to court, establish proof of the change and have the judge issue an amended order. A family law attorney may offer guidance and counsel on this matter and other legal issues.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Safehouse Soroptimist - Best for Women RCBA - Riverside County Bar Association San Bernardino County Bar Avvo Client's Choice 2015 Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb - Top attorney Family

Free Initial Consultation

Contact us today for a free initial consultation. We promise to call back within few hours.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

email us for a response

Law Offices of Catherine A. Schwartz
6877 Magnolia Avenue
Riverside, CA 92506

Phone: 951-335-0510
Fax: 951-686-8195
Riverside Law Office Map