Riverside Sex Crimes Defense Attorney
Few situations can be as personally and professionally damaging as facing accusations of having committed a sex crime. Riverside, CA prosecutors pursue sex crime cases very aggressively. These cases tend to be highly emotionally charged and volatile, and many involve limited evidence. If you are currently facing a sex crime charge or have been arrested for sex crimes, it is essential to have the right attorney in your corner to protect your rights.
Whether your situation resulted from miscommunication, mistaken identity, or outright false accusations, we can help. The attorneys at the Law Offices of Schwartz & Godbey know how sex crime cases work in Riverside and can help guide you to the most positive possible outcome.
Why Choose the Law Offices of Schwartz & Godbey?
When you need a defense attorney in Riverside, San Bernardino, or anywhere else in the Inland Empire of California, it’s essential to find legal counsel with the skills, experience, and resources necessary to navigate your case successfully. There are many reasons to call our office after an accusation or arrest for a sex crime:
- The attorneys at the Law Offices of Schwartz & Godbey have substantial experience with sex crime cases in Riverside. We understand the law as it applies to your situation and can ensure you receive a fair trial.
- Our attorneys take a client-focused approach to criminal defense representation. We will take time to get to know you and all relevant details of your situation to provide the most comprehensive defense possible.
- Founding attorney Catherine A. Schwartz has more than 30 years of experience as an attorney and has extensive experience dealing with Riverside County prosecutors.
Our firm can fully assess the details of your case, identify gaps in the prosecution’s evidence, or find the exculpatory evidence you need to clear your name. Accusations and criminal charges for sex crimes can have dramatic repercussions on a person’s life. We want to help you through your ordeal and control as much of the damage and difficulty as possible.
Types of Sex Crimes
“Sex crimes” is a broad category that applies to all criminal activity involving the sexual abuse, sexual assault, or sexual exploitation of another person, such as:
- Rape, or forcing another person into unwanted sexual activity by force.
- Date rape, which is engaging in unwanted sexual conduct with a person who is unconscious, asleep, or under the influence of drugs and alcohol and unable to resist.
- Statutory rape, which is the act of engaging in consensual sexual activity with a minor under the age of consent.
- Sexual assault, which can apply to any unwanted sexual touching of another person.
- Indecent exposure, or the exposure of one’s naked body in full view of the public.
- Lewd conduct, such as engaging in consensual sexual activity with another person in a public place.
- Child molestation, which applies to any sexual touching of a child.
- Child pornography possession or distribution. Child pornography includes any type of media depicting nude or sexualized pictures of minor children.
- Prostitution, or selling sexual services for cash.
- Solicitation, which applies to any attempt to buy sexual services.
This is not an exhaustive list, and many types of offenses can fall under the umbrella of “sex crimes.”
Unfortunately, some sex crime cases are incredibly complicated. In some, there is little to no physical evidence and the charges rest on the statements of the accuser. In others, evidence is clear, but intent is not. It’s also possible for someone to face sex crime charges for the actions of another person, such as an individual using a shared computer to source child pornography.
Some people commit sex crimes unknowingly, such as minors under 21 engaged in intimate relationships sharing nude photos consensually with one another. For example, if two 16-year-olds are dating and share explicit pictures of themselves with one another, this is a consensual act, but both are minors and the act technically qualifies as possession and distribution of child pornography.
Penalties for Sex Crimes in Riverside, CA
Sex crimes carry significant penalties. Some offenses such as rape and sexual assault could qualify as misdemeanors or felonies depending on the specifics of theses cases, often leading to substantial jail time and additional penalties for convicted offenders. One of the most significant penalties that all individuals convicted of sex crimes face is sex offender registration. US law requires individuals convicted of certain sex crimes to register as sex offenders in a publicly accessible database. Sex offender status can impair future job opportunities and the ability to live in certain areas, such as close to schools and public parks.
Defending Against Sex Crime Charges in Riverside
When you face a charge of a sex crime or some type of misunderstanding has led to sex crime charges against you in Riverside, the right attorney can help you gather the exculpatory evidence you need to offer the defense possible. An experienced criminal defense lawyer will thoroughly assess the facts of your case and the evidence against you to develop a robust defense that minimizes the chances of facing fines, jail time, and sex offender registration.
The attorneys at the Law Offices of Schwartz & Godbey have handled many cases involving sex crimes. We know how Riverside County prosecutors build and pursue these cases and can help you determine the best possible defenses for your situation. Contact our office online or call the Law Offices of Schwartz & Godbey today at (951) 686-8190 to schedule a free case evaluation with our team. Once we review the details of your situation, we will let you know how our team can help.
- Drug Sales and Possession
- Drug Trafficking and Possession Involving Opioids
- Sex Crimes
- DUI for Persons Under 21
- DUI for Recreational Marijuana
- Three Strikes/Violent Crimes
- Theft/While Collar Crimes
- Violent Crimes
- Domestic Violence Defence
- Gang Related Crimes
- Restraining Orders & Protective Orders
- Weapons Violations
- Internet Crime/Identity Theft
- Assault and Battery